Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Back to Communication

If you've read my post on communication, you should already be well versed with my theories explaining why we love to discuss games so much.

I ran into an example of this on Reddit the other day, and I wanted to share it with you guys. This instance of gamer communication isn't extravagant or eye opening, but it is solid, and the subject matter hits close to home.

The title of the thread is " I just started playing FF Tactics, and it's kicking my ass..." As soon as I read this, I smiled to myself. FFT is a notoriously difficult game, and I remember many bittersweet nights that provided me with entertainment and glory as well as grief and frustration. The fact that over 70 comments were made on this thread shows that this experience was shared by many fellow gamers.

The inspired and passionate discussion that followed was full of tricks and techniques that the original poster could use. The complexity of these strategies showed that some of these gamers spent a little too much time on this game, but it also shows how engaging this game was.

This discussion sparked many others. People started sharing links to mods, they discussed other worthy games, they ranted and reminisced about their own unique experiences, and they expressed their love for this game.

The thread was full with amorous quotes such as:

"I have utterly destroyed this game about half a dozen times, and this thread is making me crave playing it again."

"I WOULD KILL for a good browser-based multiplayer focused version of this game." [LOL]

"Oh my god do I love Final Fantasy Tactics. It may be my favorite game of all time."

This thread was posted on sunday (valentines day/ coincidence?). The game in question came out in January, 1998. For most of us, 1998 seems like yesterday, but it was 12 years ago.

Gamers truly hold their gaming experiences close to heart, and their passion for games can be quickly re-sparked by something as simple as a thread titled " I just started playing FF Tactics, and it's kicking my ass..."

No comments:

Post a Comment